At Monacell Orthodontics, we celebrate the individuality of each person and their unique smile. We are offer a range of modern, state-of- the-art treatment options that fit your busy lifestyle and will deliver a perfect smile that you will love. Call us or click to schedule a FREE consultation.
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that every child see an orthodontist by age 7 to check for bite problems that only orthodontic records can identify. By this age, most children have a mix of baby teeth and adult teeth, making it easier for the orthodontist to diagnose and correct tooth and jaw problems sooner and without surgery. Early treatment is all about influencing active growth occurring at this time. This type of treatment can shorten the time full braces are needed, reduce complexity in the future and improve the quality of the final result.
Early treatment allows Dr. Monacell to:
- Correct and guide the growth of your child’s jaw to help the permanent teeth come in straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct thumb-sucking and help improve minor speech problems
For parents, it’s not always easy to know if your child may need orthodontic treatment. As a community service, Monacell Orthodontics provides free initial examinations and baseline records. No referral is necessary.
Metal braces have been around for over 100 years with the goal of ensure each tooth has an exact location in the mouth where it is in harmony with the lips, cheeks, tongue, and other teeth. It is initiated once all of the permanent teeth are erupted. Aligned teeth create a better bite, which reduce stress, headaches, and strain on your supporting bone and tissue.
Clear braces offer an aesthetic alternative to metal braces. Unlike the brackets in metal braces, ceramic brackets are clear, will not stain, and are designed to match your tooth color. This makes them nearly invisible.
Invisalign is often the best and most esthetic and convenient option for those with a busy lifestyle as it requires fewer office visits and is just as effective as traditional braces. The technology uses a series of clear removable trays called “aligners” that are created from the iTero Digital Impressions System of YOUR mouth. Dr. Monacell will prescribe the movements of your teeth in small steps, until they reach the desired final position. With Invisalign, you can remove your aligners for special occasions, and to eat and drink whatever you want and it allow you to brush and floss normally. For more information see our Invisalign page. If you have been told Invisalign isn’t an option for you call us today for a free second opinion.
For more information, please go to the Invisalign website at www.invisalign.com.
Unlike conventional treatment, which relies on plaster models and X-rays, SureSmile treatment starts by providing a detailed 3-D computer model of your teeth, allowing Dr. Monacell to plan individual tooth movements throughout your entire “braces experience.” SureSmile robots then customize individual braces archwires to match your treatment plan. SureSmile orthodontic technology enables us to create more accurate treatment plans designed to move your teeth to their correct position more efficiently than ever before, thus improving the quality of your treatment results and cutting your total time in braces by up to 29% or nine months’ faster.
*SureSmile has been shown to reduce treatment time by an average of 29%, based on a March 2012 comparison of 7,042 patients treated with SureSmile to 200 conventionally treated patients.
For more information, please go to the SureSmile website at www.suresmile.com.
We also offer braces that bond to the inside of the teeth that are not visible through INBRACE. Programmable shape memory alloy wire technology is used to deliver treatment that is faster, more effective, and more hygienic. Flossing between teeth is easy because of the customized loop wire. InBrace is an accelerated treatment with many finishing in less than 18 months. Lingual braces are more expensive than traditional braces but offer treatment that is not visible. INBRACE is recommended for those aged 15 and older. How
For more information, please go to the InBrace website at www.myinbrace.com.
Resources: How It Works video
AcceleDent® Optima is a revolutionary new technology used to accelerate tooth movement and reduce the time you are in orthodontics. This device can be used in conjunction with braces and Invisalign. It is worn like a sports mouthguard over the braces or Invisalign for 20 minutes a day. Micro-pulses are sent into the teeth and underlying bone to help them straighten with a motion like that of an electric toothbrush but more gentle. Research has shown that with Acceledent, tooth movement is accelerated by 106% during the initial phase of treatment. Additionally, Acceledent helps reduce pain and discomfort from tooth movement. The process has been around since 2009 and has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
For more information, please go to the AcceleDent website at www.acceledent.com.
Retainers for teeth are mostly used as the last phase of orthodontics treatment. After the treatment appliance, has been removed, teeth can shift back to their original position. So, retainers can help maintain the position of straightened teeth. Here are some simple instructions:
- Wear your retainers full time, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- You will never outgrow the benefit of continuing to wear your retainers at night, even as an adult. Retention is for life.
- Take your retainers out when eating…and always put retainers in their case! At Monacell Orthodontics, we give you 2 cases to help reduce the number of lost retainers.
- Clean retainers everyday using Retainer Brite. Use warm but not hot water. Using Retainer Brite removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Retainer Brite can be purchased online at www.retainerbrite.com or by calling 1-800-866-6884
- When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken, call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Retainer replacement is expensive…with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, leaving them in a hot car or dashboards, in your pockets without a case, the washing machine and wrapped in a napkin.
Dr. Monacell founded the Richmond Dental Sleep Medicine to provide healthy treatments for patients suffering from Snoring and/or Sleep Apnea and Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMD).
Dr. Monacell has been treating patients with Oral Appliances for over 35 years, and has continued to be a lifetime student completing advanced training in the treatment of snoring, sleep apnea, and TMJ therapy. Dr. Monacell is a member of many professional organizations, including:
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Virginia Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Orthodontists
If you or someone you love have been diagnosed with TMD or with Sleep Apnea and are having difficulty utilizing CPAP, Dr. Monacell and the Richmond Dental Sleep Medicine can help. Our staff is specially trained in working with Sleep Apnea and TMD patients. In addition, we have the skills and technology to design an oral appliance that fits right, is properly adjusted for maximum benefit, and causes the least amount of discomfort and inconvenience for the patient.
We provide Oral Appliance Therapy for the following conditions:
- For patients with a diagnosis of TMJ disorder (TMD)
- For patients with a primary diagnosis of snoring
- For patients with a diagnosis of mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea
- For people who have failed CPAP therapy and are seeking alternative treatment options
- For people who have severe sleep apnea and cannot tolerate CPAP therapy
- For people who wish to combine CPAP with an oral appliance to reduce CPAP pressure and make it more tolerable
Richmond Dental Sleep Medicine is convenient to the Richmond, Virginia area and located in the Monacell Orthodontics office in Mechanicsville. For more information, please visit the Richmond Dental Sleep Medicine website.